Getting Our Daily Kneads
Keeping it Real
I enjoy everything about food and what it stands for: nourishment, ties to culture and tradition, social connections, and pleasure. Food that is flavorful and nutritious is one in the same for me. I am one of those people that crave vegetables, all kinds and every kind.
Over the years my appreciation of how food is grown, where it comes from, how it is made (hopefully with love), and how it fuels us have become so important to me, and even more so now that I have my own family. Providing nutritious food and supporting a healthy lifestyle are priorities. However, I also believe that good nutrition is not as complex as all the latest blogs, posts, and diet books make it out to be. If fact, eating well can be simple if we support the idea of lifestyle as medicine and fueling the body with foods that are wholesome, whole, and unprocessed or minimally processed.
I also realize how difficult it is to sift through all the nutrition misinformation out there, especially when you are not a nutrition expert. However, one thing is certain, we all need a daily intake of whole grains, fruits, and vegetables as the foundation of our diets. My latest discovery can help you make nutritious choices be less confusing while getting in more veggies effortlessly, even if you're not a veggie lover like me!
My friends at Daily Kneads recently sent me an array of flavorful breads and flatbreads. I guess they heard I have a thing for bread! These breads pack ¾ cup serving in every 2 slices of whole grain bread, so I decided to incorporate these vegetable breads with some of the standard sandwiches we enjoy in our home. I would like to share them with you:
1. Greek Feta Sandwich
- 1 slice Daily Kneads Whole Wheat Tomato Basil Flatbread, lightly toasted
- A handful of arugula
- 2-4 thin slices of tomatoes
- 2 slices thinly sliced feta cheese
- Dash of oregano
- 2 tsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- Lay out flatbread slices. Top with feta, tomato, and arugula
- Drizzle olive oil over the top, sprinkle the oregano over it, and place over the first slice of bread
- Cut into halves
2. Vegan Cheese & Grilled Veggie Sandwich
- 2 slices Daily Kneads Whole Wheat Red Pepper Bread, lightly toasted
- 2-4 thin slices of grilled zucchini and eggplant
- 1 slices of smoked gouda vegan cheese
- 2 thin slices of tomato
- 2 slices of avocado
- Lay out bread slices. Top with cheese, grilled vegetables, tomato and avocado
- Place second slice of bread on top
- Cut into halves
3. Peanut Putter Pumpkin Sandwich
- 2 slices Carrot & Pumpkin Daily Kneads Whole Grain Bread, lightly toasted
- 1-2 tbsp. creamy organic peanut butter
- Sprinkle of chia seeds
- Sprinkle of cacao powder
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- 1 tsp. pure organic honey
- Lay out bread slices. Spread peanut butter
- Sprinkle chia seeds, cacao powder, and cinnamon
- Drizzle honey evenly over the slice of bread
- Top with second slice of bread
- Count into 2 halves
Overall, I am partial to the red pepper, while my husband enjoys the tomato & basil and the spinach & leek varieties. My four-year old really likes the idea of pumpkin in the Carrot & Pumpkin and was a total hit with her beloved peanut butter staple.
Overall I really enjoy the concept, the taste, and the message these breads offer. They encourage people to eat more vegetables, do with less artificial colorings and ingredients, and welcome whole grains into their daily diet. Evidenced-based science indicates that increasing daily whole grain intake appears to lower the risk for diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, and certain cancers, as well as promote healthy bowel functions. Data also suggest whole grains can help lower levels of dangerous abdominal fat, and have beneficial effects on the gut microbiome, which may bolster digestive and immune health.
In our home, we are from Greek and Italian backgrounds where we grew up with the concept that the table is never set until there is bread. Daily Kneads is definitely worth a try. They take our common house sandwiches to the next tasty level! Thanks Daily Kneads!